The Angle Between Complementary Subspaces
- Although the concept of angles between general
subspaces may be too advanced for an undergraduate linear algebra
course, the angle between complementary
subspaces can be readily understood from basic properties of
projectors and matrix norms. The purpose of this article is to
derive some simple formulas for the angle between a pair of
complementary subspaces by employing only elementary
techniques. Prof. Ipsen's work was supported in part by the
National Science Foundation under grants CCR-9102853 and CCR-9400921,
and Prof. Meyer's work was supported in
part by the National Science Foundation under grants
DMS-9020915 and DMS-9403224.
- American Mathematical Monthly
- Vol. 102 (1995), pp. 904-911.
- Ilse C. F. Ipsen
- Carl D. Meyer
- THE POSTSCRIPT FILE
- The postscript file (uncompressed) for the entire paper is 2 MB.
- To receive it, click on
- THE PDF FILE
- To receive the PDF file, click on
Return To Home Page
Return To Abstracts