- Student Participants
- Bethany Herwaldt (University of Notre Dame)
- Patrick Moran (College of Charleston)
- Jeffrey Salter (Albany State University)
- Carl D. Meyer (Primary Faculty Advisor, NC State)
- Ralph Abbey (Graduate Student Advisor, NC State)
- Shaina Race (Graduate Student Advisor, NC State)
- Project Description
- The project focused on mathematical and computer technology involved in building various kinds of
unsupervised information extraction systems that can be used to mine the web for the purpose of product and feature evaluation.
- Conclusions & Results
- New methods and algorithms were developed and code was written that utilized unsupervised learning methods
in conjunction with clustering data mining techniques that would respond to a consumer query to reveal the web consensus about the important aspects
and features of products/articles included in the query. Details are given in the
Poster presentation given at the Symposium for Undergraduate Research, McKimmon Center, NC State University, August 1, 2008.
Extracting Topics From Product Reviews, Notre Dame University, Mathematics Dept, Oct 9, 2008, Presented by Bethany Herwaldt.
- Opinion Mining Textual Datasets,
SAS Institute, Cary, NC, Dec 15, 2008,
Presented by Patrick Moran.
Extracting Topics From Product Reviews, AMS-MAA Joint Mathematics Meeting, Washington, DC, Jan 7, 2009, Presented by Bethany Herwaldt.
- Final Report
- This is the final project report (pdf) submitted on August 6, 2008.